Joining the KKD Competitive Dance Team
The majority of our students dance at the recreational level, and we offer a wide variety of instructional, technique-focused weekly classes with a professional year-end revue for them.
But for the student who desires something more, our dance studio has a competition dance team that allows for more performance opportunities and training at dance competitions and conventions.
Our goal for them is to have a competitive, positive, and extremely self-driven group of dancers that are very focused on dance and desire to better themselves while being team players.
About our KKD Competition Dance Team
- Kelli’s Kreative Dance was named the 2023 ADCC School of Excellence for being the studio with the highest average group routine score at Elite Dance Cup Nationals.
- At Nationals, 4 of our dances were invited to re-compete in the final showcase.
- We we named Grand Champions for the Elite level and Encore (Intermediate) level 12 and under.
- Our youngest jazz group was invited to perform again in the showcase as the highest-scoring Premier (novice) routine of the competition.
- We pride ourselves in developing well-rounded dancers. Last season, our team had jazz, lyrical, hip-hop, contemporary, and tap routines all earning overall first-place wins as well as having winners of improv contests.
- Our routines also won specialty awards for choreography, technique, stage presence, and entertainment.
- Our teens and seniors all compete in the highest elite levels of competition and only our youngest beginner groups compete in novice levels.
- Awards are fun, but our main goal is to see growth in all of our dancers on and off the stage. It is our desire to develop work ethic, dedication, and drive in our dancers that will serve them well through their dance careers and carry over into all of their future endeavors.
For students who desire more training and performance opportunities at competitions and conventions, we’d love to have you join our dance family!
Team Requirements & Audition Dates
Competitive dance group members are selected by audition. The dancer must be present at auditions in order to be placed in a group.
2023-2024 Competition Team auditions will be held on Saturday, July 22
Please note: Senior jazz auditions will be held Saturday, July 15 from 3-5 pm.
Prospective competitors may choose which genre(s) to try out for. You choose which and how many genres to audition for. You can choose to try out for all genres or just one. If you try out for a genre, you are committing to compete with that group if selected.
We may also have some specialty small group numbers. All of these will be by invitation only. If invited, please know that you are obligated to remain in your large group dances if you choose to accept and participate.
In order to audition, students must attend the summer session held July 17 – 21, 2023.
Summer classes regularly fill up. If you intend to audition for the competition team, you should not delay in registering for the summer session when registration opens.
The team competes in 3-5 regional competitions every year and a national competition every other year. Attendance at all competitions is mandatory for every competitor. Competitors are also required to attend at least one convention per year.
All competitors, with the exception of some minis, are required to enroll in and regularly attend ballet and technique classes.
Auditions are closed to parents/caregivers. You may pick your dancer up at the designated time they’re scheduled to be finished. Please bear with us if we’re a little behind schedule. They should have all of the proper shoes needed for each audition. If your dancer’s audition is at a later time you do not need to come at 8:30 to register.
There is a $10 fee per audition. You can pay with a check or cash. Auditions will not be invoiced in the parent portal. When you go to fill out the audition registration form please make sure your dancer’s DOB is correct. This will be important when we go to register for competitions. We will post the dancer’s numbers in the private KKD Facebook page the next day along with the Saturday schedule for fall. If you’re not in that Facebook group, please request to join by answering the questions.
We are asking that all dancers audition in the age category they will be on 1/1/24. For example, if a dancer is 8 now but will turn 9 by 12/31/23, they need to audition in the higher age group.
See also our Competition Team Rules
Competition Audition Schedule
SATURDAY, JULY 22ND at the MANDEVILLE STUDIO
8:30 am Registration/check-in
9:00 am Mini Tap (ages 5-8)
9:45 am Mini Jazz (ages 5-8)
10:30 am Mini Hip-Hop (ages 5-8)
11:15 am Mini/Junior Lyrical (ages 7-12)
12:00 noon Junior Tap (ages 9-12)
12:45 pm Junior Jazz (ages 9-12)
1:30 pm Pre-Teen/Teen Hip-Hop (ages 9 and up)
2:15 pm Teen Jazz (ages 13 and up)
3:00 pm Teen/Senior Lyrical (ages 13 and up)
3:45 pm Teen Tap (ages 13 and up)
Informational Parent Meetings
We will hold informational parent meetings before auditions to discuss what competition involves and answer any questions for those who are considering trying out for a group.
Kenner – Tuesday, July 11 @ 6pm
Destrehan – Wednesday, July 12 @ 6pm
Mandeville – Thursday, July 13 @ 6pm
There will also be a mandatory parent meeting in the fall for the parents of dancers who make the competition team.